The Buñuel Test
You’ve probably heard of the Bechdel test, but you may not yet be aware of the Buñuel test, which asks:
- Does the film have human characters?
- Do they talk to each other?
- Do they appear consciously aware of what they’re saying?
You’d be surprised at the films that fail the Buñuel test1 such as…
- Un Chien Andalou (1929)
- Scorpio Rising (1963)
- Daft Punk’s Electroma (2006)
- La Jetée (1962)
- All Is Lost (2013)
- Koyaanisqatsi (1982)
- the videotape from The Ring (???)
Films that fail the Buñuel test also necessarily fail the Bechdel test. ↩